Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tracing the roots

Finished up one of the skate decks, working on the other one right now. I need to get a proper scan of it.... here's a pic of the top half...
I've been thinking a lot lately about why I chose this profession. It's hard... and it's really hard when you're trying to be a Mom at the same time. But I guess it's always been a part of me, and I really couldn't imagine doing anything else. I thought it might be fun to show a little of my own progression as an artist. I'll start with the first buck I ever earned as an artist. I won a dollar for this contest... I still have it framed today...

Dad bought me my first art book on how to draw Cartoons. I spent hours trying to master them.

Some drawings of my original creations. It's funny to see that my subject matter has remained the same... sexiness & booze.

When I was 15, my parents let me paint my cartoon creations all over the walls of my bedroom. I didn't take art classes in high school... just a lot of ceramics courses. (I had a mad crush on Mr. Bellah the ceramics teacher... he was pretty cool)

After High School I did some time as a camp counselor for fifth and sixth graders. I painted these tree cookies for each of my kids every week. I always wonder if any of them still have their little paintings... jeez, those kids would be in their late twenties now,... probably not.

I started Riverside Community College in the early nineties. Back then, fairies were the subject matter I was drawn to. These are watercolors. Again... naked chicks...

An in-class pastel of a model...

I did a few posters for the NHRA....


Then, in 1998, I started Art Center. Here are a few head studies in charcoal...

Some figure work...

PIRATES!!! From one of my sketchbooks, I thought I'd get into character design at some point.



One of the most sacred pages of my sketchbook.... signed by the man himself :)

I took a summer off during my years at Art Center and for kicks I did these master studies in oils and sold them on Ebay for $300 a pop. They only took a few days to knock out, and it was an excellent way to strengthen my painting skills.... plus I sold 10 of 'em :)
This was a John SInger Sargent "The Sulfur Match"

Rockwell...
A self portrait in oils done that same summer... Man, I need to bust out the oils again....
For a class with Rob Clayton, I painted these stripper portraits onto old cookware. I once had a girl tell me "Oh, I get it... the whole Bitch in the Kitchen thing, right?"

The Marilyn Manson sock monkey.
This is actually the biggest piece I've ever done. I think it's like, 4 feet tall. I was comfortable doing a drawing that size, but painting large really freaks me out.

During school, one of my best friends battled cancer, and lost. I spent a lot of time making art that centered around that experience.

Aah, St. Stoned. My heroes in all their angelic glory.

Well, there was a little walk down my memory lane. It's actually nice to go back and look at some of the things I used to do. Sometimes I'm so busy making art on a deadline, I forget about some of the techniques that I love. Good to refresh my memory :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Shaunna, that was very cool to see all that. You're so very talented, but it's great to see where you came from!

Be interested to hear where in Australia those skate boards are going, probably Melbourne, huh. Looking fantastic anyhow!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Sweetie,

I love this trip down Memory Lane. It has been amazing to
watch you grow. Not only with
your Art, but into this beautiful
Wife and Mother. What makes me
the most proud is that you have
done a wonderful job with each and
every one of these jobs. Dad and
I were just sitting here looking at this and reading each thing. We couldn't be more proud. I have always been so proud of each and everything you have done from Meeting Minnie Mouse until Now.
We Love You Shaunna Pooh.

Mom

shaunna said...

Hey Sandy, Yeah they'll go to Melbourne. Anywhere near you? Thanks for the good words on this post.
And thanks Mom & Dad... for all the support all these years. Art's such a tricky biz... sometimes you can feel really down about it, so thanks for always having my back :)

Jeff Soto said...

Good to see some of your old stuff, those tree paintings are awesome! The 4 foot tall painting is really cool, I don't think I ever saw that one. Sometimes you'll get your best work when you're uncomfortable, I know I do.
It's good to look back from time to time, I do it every once in a while. Just reminds you of what you liked, past techniques you haven't tried and in general is just fun to see the crazy shit we all used to paint/draw.

Art is hard. It is a constant struggle for even established artists. Hang in there!

Kathie said...

Wow Shaunna, that's cool. My mom told me about your stroll down memory lane on here - I remember the bedroom walls! "Remission" just caught me off guard, though. I never told you how much it meant to me that you were with Kim that year. Your art helped us all cope and later, heal. Love ya, girl. On a lighter note, I love Bunny! She hangs prominently in our family room, which is a continuing source of embarrasment to Nicholas when he has friends over!

Susie

shaunna said...

Hey Sus!!! Thanks for the comment! Haha, I LOVE that you hang Bunny proudly! That's so funny about Nicholas, made me laugh out loud! HI to Mike & the kids!