Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Hap's

I'll start this post off with a cute little drawing that Dylan did. It's cool to see him starting to draw little characters and animals already. Note the belly button...
And here's a couple of shots from the Baby Tattooville visit to Jeff Soto's studio on Friday, October 3rd. It was really cool getting a chance to say hello to some of the artists that were there. I even got a chance to slurp down the first oyster I've ever had in my life... and I can now officially say I love them.


The next morning Mike and I road tripped up to Santa Clara California for the "Cosmic Art of Robots" show at Sonya Paz Gallery. Here's our Bodie Bear waving bye bye and seeing us off.
The boys stayed at the house with Nana & Pop's overnight while Hubby and I tripped.

The Gallery was a really cool space. The layout, the archetecture, and the vibe of the joint were all killer.
Michael flanked by Sonya's art and standing next to a Paul Loughridge bot.

Paul Loughridge's "Steampunk Steer".

As an added bonus for the night my bestest Gal Sloan had to make a trip up to Santa Cruz, so she ended up staying in the room right next to us at the Marriot and going to the show.

Here'a all of the artist's together: L to R Tracy Cox, Christine Benjamin, I'm the Brick House in the middle, Sonya Paz, and Paul Loughridge
On a sidenote... after seeing myself in these photos, I've since been walking my ass off (down 5 pounds!) and have chopped my hair into a cute little bob. I'm on a mission to get my Mojo back, dammit.

Here's Sloanie with Sonya's cute little dog Miss Sami. We laughed about this picture because Sami looks like she poses for pictures quite often.

I had such a great time at the show. Obviously I don't have the time to get out much right now, so it was such a joy to hobnob with the other artists. I totally had an amazing connection with Christine, she's someone I wish I could hang out with regularly. I had been a fan of Paul "Lockwasher" Loughridge for a little while thanks to Flickr, so it was really amazing to see his stuff in person. I had told him I would love to see what his workspace looks like, and he told us to cruise on by since he'd be on our way back home. Paul's a totally great dude, with a fantastic sense of humor. I would love to walk around inside his brain for a day to see what his thought process is like. His work is amazing.


And his workspace (the garage) is equally amazing. He has stuff everywhere. By the way, that small 8" x 8" space on the table there is actually where he works.


a shot of Paul and Michael in front of the nuts n' bolts display case.
Thank you Paul so much for the hospitality!

And on Wednesday, we took Dylly back to Disneyland. I'd never been there at Halloween time, so it was really magical to see all the decorations. They had this really amazing dia des los muertos display up near New Orlean's Square. Here's Michael and Dylan by the all dead band.

Free day of the dead face painting. Dylan opted for his arm.

I got a cute little skull on my face. I think next time we go we'll be taking Bodie with us. We hadn't taken him yet because he's really sound- sensitive and has that stranger anxiety thing going on... but I'm dying for him to experience this with us.

It's been a busy, busy time this past week. I did a little work for an iphone project, and then finished up another super cool project that I'm dying to show... but I can't yet.
I'm also working on a joint piece with Brandon Steen for his upcoming solo show at Mmodern so I'll post pics soon. Then it's on to painting for the Alcove "Wizard of Oz" show, and the "Pin it Up Babycakes" show at the Minna. Whew, there really aren't enough hours in the day right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So cool... I just love your art! I had your 'catwoman cream' painting up on my desktop for a LOoong time!
--ps.. yer lil' darlin' is so cute and has GROWN!
--kids drawings are the best.
:)mm